Monday, September 28, 2009

Understanding Babbling

Survey About Language Development in Children for Nannies and Au Pairs

In the book, How to Talk to Your Baby by Dorothy P. Dougherty it reads, "Researchers have concluded that all infants make the identical babbling sounds -- "ba," "ka," "ma," and "pa." It does not matter with which language the infant is surrounded."

The book explains, "Remarkably, even deaf babies who cannot hear any language utter these sounds until six-months of age. Researchers believe that a child's brain is actually programmed for babbling during the first six-months of life. After that, babies begin to concentrate on the language that the people around them are speaking."

We want your input about the topic. The Best Nanny Newsletter monthly poll about language development in children is now available at the top of our blog which can be found by clicking here.

Nannies and au pairs are invited to take the poll. The survey can be taken by clicking here.

The results will appear in the November 2009 issue of Be the Best Nanny Newsletter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is an important topic. One boy I was a nanny to would have speech therapy and he did great. Currently a boy a am nanny to has delays in speech and his parents are in denial. Important to have professional intervention early. I learned a lot watching the sessions with former boy I used to care for with his speech teacher. I learned how to show kids to use their tongues and I use the same techniques I watched with current charge. But, I admit I am no professional for this and can only HOPE I know what I am doing. Better to hire a certified speech therapist than rely on well meaning nannies to help children with language development and speech problems.
Iris Nanny 25 Yrs
Harrisburg Penn

Anonymous said...

I just took the survey and am excited because this is an excellent and important topic. Babbling is not something we really need to be educated on in most instances. But typical language development is important in case of delays in development. I work with a boy that stutters but the parents do not seem to notice or care.

Is there a way for nannies to talk to parents about sensitive issues like when their kids are delayed in development without making them defensive?

Sharing what I think about delays in development is difficult for me.