Thursday, February 24, 2011

Have You Used a Baby Sling While Working?


Caution Using Baby Slings When Baby Wearing

Yesterday we asked if nannies would be willing to work for parents that follow the attachment parenting method that would require the caregiver to carry the baby with them while working.

There are many benefits of carrying babies which we will discuss over the next few days on this blog.

But, there are also some concerns about using baby slings for infants under four-months old.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) issued a warning in March 2010 that baby slings -- which cvaregivers put around their necks to carry their babies -- may pose a risk of suffocation.

In researching incident reports from the past 20 years, the CPSC identified and is investigating at least 14 deaths associated with sling-style infant carriers, including three in 2009. Twelve of the deaths involved babies younger than four months of age.

Don Mays, of Consumer Reports, explains that the potential hazards of putting small babies -- especially newborns -- into bag-style slings arise because, "A very young infant's head will be folded forward. That cuts off the airway, and they essentially suffocate. Another problem could be if the baby's head could be nestled up against the carrier's body."

The CPSC said many of the babies who died in slings were either a low birth weight twin, were born prematurely, or had breathing issues such as a cold. Therefore, it urged parents of preemies, twins, babies in fragile health and those with low weight to use extra care and consult their pediatricians about using slings.

But not all slings are dangerous. The safest baby wearing is in a carrier that keeps the newborn baby solidly against the adult's body, in an upright position.

The popular “SlingRider” by Infantino was been singled out for criticism because of the curved position that the baby can fall into while inside the sling.

Click here for the recall information of the "Sling Rider" by Infantino.

Do you use a baby sling at work?

5 comments:

talesfromthe(nanny)hood said...

Generally speaking, there are many safe slings, like the popular "ring slings", that are more adjustable than those bag style slings.

One rule of thumb to remember when wearing any child is that you need to be able to bend your neck and kiss baby's head when he is in the sling/wrap. If you can't do that, then you need to readjust baby and the sling/wrap right away.

Tobago Nanny said...

I remember this in the news and it sounds more like neglectful parents at the time that caused these tragedies. Granted we need to understand the risks. I've used a baby carrier once (no slings) and it wasn't for me.

Reyna H said...

I love slings. I couldn't live without it! It allows me to get my housework done and bond with the baby at the same time. I take it everywhere and if she gets fussy I can put her in the sling and within minutes she's sound asleep!

Imani O said...

I am using the Balboa Baby Sling and I feel it is safer than most slings. I care for an infant and as soon as I place my charge in this sling, he is instantly calm , quiet and falls asleep. He loves to be close to me and fusses when I put him down so this works great. I appreciate the warnings about infants that cannot control their neck muscles yet. But with the sling I use I feel that the double ring and ring stopper on the end make it feel safer than some other slings I have seen. I am able to have both hands free and still have the baby happily near me.
Imani O NY NY

Baby Carriers said...

I love love love slings. I used a sling for months, made life so much easier. We were going to get a better carrier as she got older but as soon as she could walk she was very independent and wanted to walk. When we have no.2 I am going to try and use a wrap first, then move onto a sling :)