Monday, February 17, 2014

Stayin Out of Nanny Drama and Gossip

Respecting Professional Nanny Boundaries

It seems nearly anytime there is a large group of women gathered together, there is some gossip and drama. It only takes one nanny making negative comments about others that makes working or socializing with her almost unbearable. Gossip happens locally with the nannies of the kids that go to the same school and activities as my charges, at the playground, and online in social media nanny groups.

It’s hard not to get sucked-in. But, my priority working as a nanny is to perform well at my job and keep my job. To do that I must keep the parents that hired me, and the kids I care for, happy -- not the other nannies in town. In order to do that I have to surround myself with others (nannies and parents) that build me up, not drag me down.

It’s fine to listen to and support friends, but there is a time and place for everything. Plus, I am a nanny, not a therapist. Whether on Facebook, Twitter, or at work, nannies need to surround themselves with positive influences. To respect professional boundaries it important to focus on the job and keep gossip and drama out of the workplace.

No comments: