Cooking With Kids
Monday is Saint Patrick's Day. So make sure you have the ingredients you will need to make shamrock pancakes for the kids for breakfast next week. You can use a box of pancake mix and green food coloring, but the children will have more fun measuring and mixing all the ingredients if you follow the simple recipe listed below.
You Will Need:
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Green food coloring
Shamrock cookie cutter
What to Do:
1. Mix all the ingredients adding a few drops of green food coloring. Don't over mix, it's okay to have lumpy batter. If you over mix the batter the pancakes will come out too heavy.
2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat.
3. Pour about 1/4 cup of batter onto the griddle or enough batter to fit your clover-shaped cookie cutter on the pancake.
4. When the bubbles on the pancake begin to pop flip the pancake over so that they are brown on each side.
5. Remove pancakes and place on a cutting board or plate and press the shamrock cookie cutter into one pancake at a time to create green clover-shaped pancakes.
Photo by Stephanie Felzenberg. Recipe from her mother's recipe book.