Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Au Pair Increase in Salary

Au Pair salaries to increase on Friday, July 24, 2009.

An increase in minimum wage will go into effect on Friday, July 24, 2009. The au pair stipend will increase from $176.85 to $195.75/week.

On that date au pairs must receive at least $195.75 per week. The au pair stipend is based on a U.S. Department of Labor calculation which takes the minimum wage for 45 hours and then subtracts 40% for room and board.

· Currently: $6.55 x 45 hours = $294.75 x .60 = $176.85
· July 24, 2009: $7.25 x 45 hours = $326.25 x .60 = $195.75

Any family who does not change the rate of pay for their au pair after these changes go into effect will be in violation of U.S. Department of Labor laws and U.S. State Department regulation.

See more information at: http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/minimumwage.htm

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to be a live in nanny and I wonder why my nanny agency and the parents did not break down the salary this way. Very easy to understand. I work in Manhattan so I used to say to myself "the reason I make less than my nanny friends is that there is not rent under $1,000 per month in New York City so that's got to be $12,000 I am saving for not having rent."

But the 40% calculation is easier to use!

Thanks, Diedre Mannings

Anonymous said...

Interesting that no one every told me to subtract 40% either. Crazy! You would think every agency placing a live in would share this with us. Suddenly I feel I make a good salary for the first time. ha ha... Wendi, Seattle