A nanny contacted Be the Best Nanny Newsletter on facebook last week concerned about recent reports of an in-home childcare provider who committed crimes against a child. The babysitter is seen hitting a child on a nanny cam.
Here is a link to the video of the news story and of the nanny hitting a child: http://www.news4jax.com/news/22912819/detail.html
Here is a link to the story:
Babysitter Still In Jail On Battery Charge - Jacksonville News Story - WJXT Jacksonville
A concerned nanny on facebook wrote to us: "This sad situation happened in my town, and is disturbing on many levels. I am sharing with you as I feel this needs to be addressed, although I am aware that similar situations have happened in years past. Parents need to know how to hire safe and professional nannies. Nannies need to understand basic child development and know how to deal with discipline issues. It just amazes me that these things happen."
HOW PARENTS CAN SAFELY HIRE A NANNY:
1. Conduct Comprehensive Interviews
Although parents can start interviewing nanny candidates by exchanging emails or by speaking on the phone, parents should have an in-person interview before hiring a nanny. Find interview questions at: http://www.bestnannynewsletter.com/moreadvice.htm/l8
2. Diligent Background Checks
Ask to see originals of the caregiver’s driver’s license, social security card, CPR/First Aid certificates, and diplomas. If the parents are hiring a caregiver without the assistance of a nanny referral agency they ought to perform inexpensive background checks themselves. http://www.bestnannynewsletter.com/moreadvice.htm/l5
3. Criminal Checks
One of the advantages of using a reputable nanny placement agency is they know how to perform background checks and criminal checks. But parents can perform a criminal check on a nanny candidate themselves for about $50. http://www.bestnannynewsletter.com/moreadvice.htm/l5
4. Call Reference Checks Personally
Even when parents hire a reputable nanny placement agency to help hire a caregiver, they should call the job seekers references themselves to ensure the references are valid and to ask the specific questions important to the parents.
OTHER WAYS NANNIES CAN GAIN TRUST OF PARENTS:
1. Introduce their employers to their friends and family.
2. Show accountability.
3. Listen to the parents and honor the parents’ concerns.
4. Be open about anything concerning the children.
5. Do not gossip about the family.
6. Keep a daily log to communicate about the children. http://www.bestnannynewsletter.com/moreadvice.htm/l177.
7. Have informal weekly meetings to maintain open communication with parents about the children and the job. http://www.bestnannynewsletter.com/advice.htm/l2