What Are Your Best Tips to Help Kids With Their Homework?
One of a nanny's or au pair's most important role with school-aged children is being a homework helper. The National Academy of Sciences (NAS) studies show that families that hire great child care providers are in a stronger position to have children that are successful in school. Children of working parents that do not have the support of great homework helpers are less likely to achieve as well in school.
To develop good study habits nannies should make a Homework Contract that spells out what
is expected of the student.
First, make a checklist for each day of the week and every subject the student is studying at school. As they complete each assignment everyday the student should check the box when the work is completed. If no assignment is due in that subject fill in N/A for not applicable. Leave the subject blank if the student needs extra help when the mother or father arrives home after work. After explaining the checklist to the child, be sure to have the parents, nanny, and child sign the Homework Contract.
1. The homework area to study will be _____.
2. Assignment notebook will be checked by nanny and student before starting homework.
3. All homework and school materials are to be placed in backpack for the next day of school by
4. No homework in front of TV, with music on, or talking on the phone.
5. If nanny and student cannot complete assignments tell the parents to ensure the parents can help the student complete their homework.
Click here for a great homework contract from familyeducation.com