Typically I make Shepherd's Pie whenever I have leftovers and add ground beef. But this week I had extra chicken so made the dish with chicken instead. This is one of those dishes that you just throw things in a pot and hope for the best. Use what you have and be creative! The recipe I used can be found at FeedingBig.com:
You Will Need:
1 can of Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Leftover Cooked Chicken (about 1/2 of a cooked chicken)
Vegetables of your choice (corn, green beans, mushrooms - as many as your family can stand)
Mashed Potatoes (using about 6 - 8 potatoes)
|before adding potatoes|
1/2 to 1 cup milk
1/2 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
Dash of paprika
What to Do:
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Peel and boil your potatoes until cooked. Mash with butter, and milk Let the potatoes sit until the meat mixture is ready.
3. Heat oil and sauté onion until it is translucent. When the onions are almost ready, add the garlic and sauté for a few minutes.
4. Meanwhile, shred or cube the leftover chicken, add to a large bowl.
5. Add the vegetables of choice, the onion/garlic mixture and the can of Cream of Mushroom soup. Mix well.
6. Place the meat mixture in the bottom of a baking pan (I used individual dishes) and then cover with the mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with paprika.
7. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until gravy is bubbly.
Photos by Stephanie Felzenberg