Monday October 12, 2009 is Columbus Day and there is still time to coordinate a quick Columbus Day party for your charges. Here are ideas shared by Patty Sachs from her book Pick a Party.
If you do not have enough time to send invitations simply send email invites and call friends to schedule the party for Monday.
COLUMBUS DAY INVITATION IDEAS:
- Write the party details on a map of the original ocean journey.
- Format the party details as a Help Wanted ad, reading :Wanted! Crew members for a four-month ocean cruise leaving Spain August 3 (destination to be announced). Choice of three ships, great meals, adventure, and robust exercise. Contact C. Columbus, c/o Isabella, Queen of Spain.
- Send invitations in clear envelopes filled with bits of sand and shells.
- Ready to sail the ocean blue
- Authentic period costume
- Pirate costumes
- Maps, drawings of ships, and sailing items
- Travel posters, with flags marking the places passed on the voyage
- Bare plank-board picnic tables, to resemble a shipboard mess hall
- Travel posters
- Anchors, life preservers, netting, deck chairs
- Play Columbus' Cruise trivia game.
- Match countries to such cultural contributions as foods, animals, and traditions. For example, tomatoes were an American contribution to Europe.
- Arts and Crafts with a nautical theme.
- Watch movies of Columbus' voyage (or simply have the movies running on the VCR as background noise).
- Provided Columbus or Isabella costumes and take pictures of the guests modeling the costumes. (If nothing else try to find some appropriate hats and take head shots).
- Multinational menu: foods from Spain, Italy, Africa, and Asia
- Foods and beverages labeled with origins of ingredients
- Instant photos of guests in Columbus or Isabella costumes
- Recipes of menu items served
- Gift packs of LifeSavers candy, gold fish crackers, captain hats, and so on.