Photo of educational activity of learning CPR & First Aid with Nanny Alliance of New York and New Jersey
When forming a nanny support group it is important to help encourage members of the group to behave in a professional manner. To do that, create guidelines or bylaws for all members to follow.
Andrea Flagg of the Nanny Alliance of New York and New Jersey (NANYNJ) shares the NANYNJ Membership Guidelines as an example for other nanny support groups to follow.
Nanny Alliance of New York and New Jersey Membership Guidelines:
Membership is open to nannies on all levels. We kindly ask all group members to please:
1 . Respect everyone as an individual and understand that all members are appreciated and viewed as a benefit to the group.
2. Be honest about your true feelings when giving your input on all issues; we want you to know that you have a say in the group as a member.
3. Not gossip behind each others backs. We understand that not all individuals will click with all other members but please maintain a mature attitude. We want everyone to feel
4. Honor the privacy of the members of the group and your employers. Do not refer to the family you work for by name.
5. Give the courtesy of a reply when moderators or other members of the group contact you even if it is to say, "Sorry, not interested."
6. If we do not hear from you for over two-months, we will assume you are no longer interested in the group, and your name will be removed from the member list. You are welcome you back at any time, but you will be asked to sign up as a new member again, which will require you to pay for a new membership.
7. Note: We are a professional organization and drugs and excessive drinking will not be permitted at any events or functions hosted by NANYNJ. Foul language is frowned upon.
8. We do not accept agencies or businesses as sponsors. We have listed businesses on our web site that have supported us in some way, (like exchanging a link to our web site).
The Yahoo Group for the Nanny Alliance of New York and New Jersey adds the following guidelines to those already described for their nanny support group above:
1. Any and all nannies are welcome. This Yahoo Group does not invite agencies, parents employing nannies, or businesses to become members. We do not welcome spamming of members. We monitor who joins the group. If you feel you have received spam from someone who may have gotten your address from our list please let us know.
2. Please do not post any personal contact information -- yours or the family for whom you work.
Do not post:
• Any of your employer’s contact information.
• Last names.
• Phone numbers.
• Any specific charge and family information.
The group moderators will continue to closely monitor who joins the group, but since we have not yet had the opportunity to meet everyone in person, we can never be sure who is reading the posts.
Please note: Currently there are over 80 members. Therefore, we urge you to please think of your safety and the safety of the family for whom you work.
3. Please email individuals privately if your post pertains to just one person (such as a play date and meeting for dinner) since we do not want messages that are not intended for the group as a whole.
4. Please do not flame. This means if you disagree with someone's opinion you are free to disagree but do not put them down or make them feel like they are not entitled to their own opinions.
5. If a dispute occurs off list do not bring it to the group to solve. Please solve it amongst yourselves or email the moderators privately.
Do you have any other suggestions for nanny support group bylaws or guidelines?