Saturday, December 10, 2011

As Teachers Get Laid-Off, Are They Are Taking Our Nanny Jobs?

Do You Know Teachers Who are Working as Nannies?

In the Chicago Tribune, Vikki Ortiz Healy reported online today that unemployed teachers are finding jobs as nannies.

This is no surprise to me as last year I needed help driving my older charges to activities that overlapped, while I cared for a newborn. Although my employer and I met through a high end nanny placement agency, the mother hired a high school teacher with a Master's Degree to help drive kids to activities after school easily online. But, she hired a working teacher! The teacher was employed! Even with a Master's Degree and a job, the high school teacher needed more money! And this treasured teacher (and part-time nanny) and my employer found one another easily on sittercity.com.

The Chicago Tribune article explains, "As job prospects across the state and nation remain bleak for new and laid-off teachers — more than 8,800 Illinois teachers received pink slips in 2010, according to officials — many are finding welcome work as nannies and baby sitters."

The article continues, "Nannies increasingly say they have found that parents jump at the chance to leave their children with someone with a teaching background, offering generous incentives such as signing bonuses and extra time off. The popularity has inspired the creation of one local website — sitterworks.com, which plans to launch soon — specifically for unemployed teachers and nurses hoping to find work in child care."

But, this is bleak for nannies! During the economic recession parents are losing jobs as well. There are less nanny jobs in total. Of course parents will hire the most experienced and educated nanny they can find for the same price.

Erin Krex of owner of First Class Care domestic placement agency in Chicago explains the problem with hiring teachers as nannies is that teachers may always want to be get back in the classroom. Parents are often concerned that if they bring on a nanny that is a teacher, it will be only a one-year-solution to their child care needs.

Meanwhile, qualified nannies with 20-years of experience are being overlooked.

Read the entire article here.

What do you think? Are there less nanny jobs available? Do you know teachers who are working as nannies?

8 comments:

Ana said...

This is a huge issue. I agree there are less nanny jobs since 2008 especially where I live near Wall St. Seems like all the parents are losing jobs or forced to be consultants once a week and not as many jobs for nannies. Of course a parent will hire a teacher over uneducated caregiver if the money is the same. I think some teachers become nannies for the long haul since they only have to deal with one set of parents, no administration and can make more money if they find the right nanny job.

Anonymous said...

I see ads all the time for former teachers looking for nanny jobs. I personally don't think there is anything wrong with it- if they can do the job. When I have been in between nanny jobs- I look for teachers assistant jobs- and sometimes I like that I don't have to deal with families mess on a daily basis.

Lisa said...

I have known several nannies through my career who have been teachers or working toward teaching degrees. I also know that what I have been making as a nanny is more than some than some starting teachers make. Yes, I too have known afterschool nannies who actually work as teachers during the day.

Besides the agency listed in the article there is also another metro area one called teacher care which is in the metro area, which calls itself the nanny alternative.

There are many two year ECE grads who can easily enter our arena as childcare sites may not have openings. My sister became a nanny this way. Made far more money than she would have in a center.

This is what I have been warning of for awhile, nannies need to really think about having formal training too.

Michelle said...

The problem with teachers taking nanny jobs is that a college education doesn't necessarily make the teacher a better than a nanny with experience. If the parents want to hire a tutor than that's their woman. But, the nanny job makes you get down and dirty. Laundry, dirty dishes, spit up, changing diapers, and more. Plus, there is a lack of respect by society in general towards domestics. Even I thought I'd never be a cleaning lady. I have a college degree and that's not what makes me a great nanny. It's my willingness to be flexible, loving and get dirty. But, my college degree does allow my a better salary I think than my friends without a college degree. I really think experience and good references are the most important things to look for when hiring a great nanny. A kid right out of high school seldom is ready for the organization and emotional maturity it requires to be a nanny. A teacher friend of mine once complained to me she hates unloading the dishwasher. Give me a break, once she has kids (or works in a home with kids) that's hardly something to complain about.

Rachel Lewis said...

Michelle I agree. As a nanny agency consultant I've seen some great teacher nannies- and many who swan in thinking nannying will be a breeze, quickly discover differently and walk out the door!

While nannies and teachers obviously share some key traits teachers just aren't used to a) the menial side of a nannies role and b) the lack of 'position' that a nanny holds in comparison to a teacher.

Nannies, just like at home mums and dads, are often unrecognised heroes who deserve more credit for the patience, care and love they show every day.

lovebeingananny said...

Yep being a nanny is really hard and just because a person has a teaching degree doesn't mean they are well suited to work as a nanny.

Deborah said...

Yes many people who are out of work are taking nanny jobs. Also, au pairs are taking nanny jobs. We ought to lobby to end the au pair program until Americans get more nanny jobs.

Nanny Jobs LA said...

Nanny job can be more difficult than quitting other types of jobs because there's often a family attachment involved. It can be difficult to explain to young children, especially if you've worked with them for years, that you will no longer be a part of their daily lives. Thanks a lot.