What kid doesn't love Jell-O? Using the flag Jell-O mold (see how to purchase below) you can make this fun dessert for the kids today so they can enjoy it tomorrow for the 4th of July.
1. Add 1-1/2 cups boiling water to dry berry blue gelatin mix in medium bowl. Stir at least 2-minutes until gelatin is dissolved. Dissolve dry red gelatin mix in 1-1/2 cups boiling water in separate bowl. Stir 1-1/2 cups ice cold water into dissolved gelatin in each bowl.
2. Spray entire flag mold with cooking spray. Place the mold on a baking sheet. Pour red gelatin into mold. Refrigerate 45-minutes until set but not firm (gelatin should stick to finger when touched and should mound). Meanwhile, refrigerate berry blue gelatin in bowl for 45-minutes.
3. Meanwhile, stir remaining 1 cup boiling water into dry lemon gelatin mix in bowl at least 2-minutes until dissolved. Refrigerate 25-minutes or until slightly thickened (consistency of unbeaten egg whites), stirring occasionally. Stir in Cool Whip whipped topping with wire whisk. Gently spread over red gelatin in mold. Refrigerate 10-minutes or until set but not firm. Gently spoon thickened berry blue gelatin over lemon gelatin mixture in mold.
4. Refrigerate for 4-hours or overnight until firm. Unmold by dipping the mold in warm water. Then, gently pull gelatin from around the edges with moist fingers. Place moistened serving plate on top of mold. Invert mold and plate while holding the mold and the plate together. Shake lightly to loosen. Gently remove old and center gelatin onto the plate.
5. There are two ways I like to decorate the Jell-O flag. The easiest way I have found to decorate the flag is to frost the entire Jell-O flag with whipped cream. I like to use defrosted Cool Whip. Then use sliced strawberries to create red stripes and blueberries in the upper left-hand corner to symbolize stars. A prettier but slightly more difficult way to decorate the flag is to use whipped cream already in a spray can or to put Cool Whip into a frosting bag and use a tip to add white stripes to the flag. Simply press out small dots of whipped cream into stripes on the flag. Then, place some blueberries in the upper left corner for stars.