Friday, March 25, 2011

What Are Your Best Tips on Coping with a Crying Baby?

How to Cope with a Crying Baby

There is nothing more frustrating then not being able to comfort a crying, or even a colicky, baby. I've been searching the Internet for ways to cope with a crying or colicky baby. Problem is that everything I have read recommends taking a break. As paid in-home childcare providers, nannies and au pairs can't take a break. In fact, we are the parents' break.

Keep your calm: The first thing to remember is to keep your calm. You must always be gentle. Put the baby safely in their safe crib, go to the powder room, wash your face, take deep breathes and come back to the baby. Pick up the phone call a friend or the parents for support.

Go with your gut: If you believe that something is wrong and you can’t fix it, call the doctor. Describe what’s going on and get some sound advice. If you really think about it, you know when a child is fussy or gassy versus sick or hurt. Listen to the cries and go with your instinct.

Support yourself: Tell yourself, “I know I can do this.” Remind yourself that others have dealt with these problems before and survived. Refrain from berating yourself for not knowing enough or doing something that upset the baby.

Remember this is a phase: Even though it’s really challenging, babies cry. But, no child will cry or have colic forever. Colic almost always clears up by four-months of age. This is just a moment in time, this too shall pass.

Click here for reference

2 comments:

Amy Wicks said...

Thanks for sharing this important information. Our website at www.purplecrying.info has some in-depth information on the normalcy of early infant crying and what to expect.

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of "purple crying" that's interesting I'm going to look for more information on that.

To keep myself calm when I'm dealing with a baby who won't stop crying I remind myself that sometimes there's nothing you can do but stay calm.